Monday, January 5, 2009

The Pie Server


It's nothing special as far as value goes. It's not silver, or antique, or even a popular brand. It's just a regular old pie server. But, it was my mom's and she's had it as long as I can remember. It came home with a pie I made for our family potluck's last summer and I kept thinking I should return it...I've decided not to. Last night as I used it to remove warm cookies from my cookie sheet it brought tears to my eyes and a lump in my throat. It reminds me of my life with my parents when they were happy. I see a happy secure home where honor was taught and vows were kept. I can remember my mom when she was "soft" and the hardness wasn't in her face. One of my new treasures.
I think it's fairly obvious that faith was important in our home and now in my own home. My parents certainly influenced how I view God today. Last night John and I were discussing angels and giants among many other things. During the conversation I began telling him how I had wondered, when did God become not enough? My mom should have been able to be happy no matter how she viewed my dad and my dad should be able to be happy without her. When was God not enough which made her leave? When was God not enough which made my dad find someone new? This was beginning to make me angry! Then I picked up one of my favorite books on marriage, "Created to be His Helpmeet " by Debbie Pearl. "It is not good for the man to be alone, I will make a companion who will help him"...."He who finds a wife finds a good thing". Hmmm, it's actually very rare that a man should be alone, God even said it wasn't good. Maybe my dad can't be alone for that reason? Maybe, maybe not...I am not skilled to understand.
For now, I will treasure my pie server, my kids, my wonderful husband and give thanks to God for each breath He gives me.

1 comment:

  1. Kayla,

    Don't spend too much time trying to understand why your parent's marriage fell apart. In the end it is sin, and sin does not make sense. Somewhere along the line sin got a foothold and it grew and matured and brought death.

    You are right, it is not good for your Dad to be alone. I don't know the situation, but our Dad's need a helpmeet, and there may come a day when you are very glad that he has one. My parents divorced when I was very young, and my Dad has remarried. It has been a long time, but I am very grateful for my step-Mom and the comfort she is to my Dad. I am very glad that he is not alone. It is too soon for you to be okay with this, but you are on the right track.

    Still praying for you,
    Signe

    ReplyDelete